Let's talk about small changes to your physical work space for a healthier environment
It’s vital to consider how our daily choices can impact our health in the long run. Small, healthy changes today can lead to significant improvements in our wellbeing over time, given that we spend over one-third of our lives at work.
With the forecast that 70% of employees will work remotely for at least a full working week each month by 2025, it’s essential to address the challenges of maintaining a physically supportive and active workspace, especially in home offices. Sadly, many home offices lack proper setup, leading to reduced movement and increased screen time, potentially affecting our physical comfort and productivity.
As individuals who embrace remote work, we empathise with the initial challenges faced in creating an ideal workspace. Back pain and weight gain were familiar struggles for some of us, impeding productivity. However, we found solutions to enhance our remote work experience and prioritise our physical wellbeing.
Investing in a standing desk, wireless keyboard, and mouse transformed our static workspace into a dynamic and comfortable one. Additionally, incorporating regular walks, screen breaks, and following the 20:20:20 rule greatly relieved eye strain and revitalised our focus.
Creating a safe and healthy hybrid working environment is a cornerstone of our mission to empower individuals to thrive in their professional and personal lives. By addressing spinal health and ergonomics, employees can foster a work environment that prioritises physical wellbeing and sets the stage for long-term health improvements.
To empower you on your wellbeing journey, we’ve compiled essential tips from the session combined with takeaways from our own personal experience:
1. Elevate Your Laptop: Create a makeshift laptop stand using books or props if you don’t have a purpose-built one. Elevating your screen to eye level reduces strain on your neck and back.
2. Invest in Ergonomic Peripherals: Prioritise a keyboard and mouse that support your arms and wrists while typing. Wireless options allow for better posture maintenance.
3. Add Lumbar Support: Roll up a towel and place it in or around your chair to provide extra support for your lower back (lumbar region).
4. Optimise Seating Ergonomics: Ensure there’s a three-finger space between the front of your seat and the back of your knee, allowing unrestricted blood flow to avoid discomfort.
5. Move Regularly: Set reminders to get up and move throughout the day. Changing your posture every 30 minutes helps reduce strain on your muscles and joints.
6. Use a Footrest: Elevating your feet with a footrest can alleviate pressure on your legs and promote better circulation.
7. Reduce Glare: Adjust the angle of your screen or use anti-glare windows to protect your eyes from strain caused by glare.
8. Follow the 20:20:20 Rule: To protect your eye health, every 20 minutes, focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds to reduce eye strain.
9. Embrace Standing Desks: If possible, invest in a standing desk to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day, improving circulation and posture. Sway and move when standing to regularly shift your weight from foot to foot and reduce static pressure build-up on your joints.
10. Opt for a Headset: During conference calls, use a headset to avoid straining your neck by holding the phone between your shoulder and ear.
By incorporating these simple adjustments into your workday, you can enhance your physical wellbeing and create a more supportive workspace. Remember, small changes today lead to lasting health improvements in the future. Prioritising your wellbeing during your work hours ensures a healthier and more productive life, both professionally and personally.
At CRAOI, we understand the importance of employee wellbeing and offer support to corporate clients and employees to improve their overall health and productivity. Our mission is to empower you to thrive in the workplace and beyond by implementing key healthy habits and behaviours to embrace a balanced working lifestyle overall. By doing this, we can create a healthier and more fulfilling future.